TMJ & Migraine Treatment
in Wayland, Michigan
TMJ is short for Temporomandibular Joint. Many people suffer from headaches, a popping jaw when they open and close their mouth and pain in their jaw joints and muscles. Dr. Sexton offers special treatment for patients who suffer from TMJ pain and the migraines that can accompany this condition. Based on the severity of your case, he will recommend a course of treatment right for you to get you out of pain and make your day-to-day activities more pleasant.
One example of effective treatment is bite splints. Dr. Sexton recommends bite splints to patients who clench, grind or wear down their teeth. Bite splints are acrylic guards that fit over your teeth and help relieve pressure on the muscles and joints while reducing wear on your teeth. These appliances are also used for people who experience one or more of the following symptoms:
• Pain in and around the ear sometimes spreading into the face
• Tenderness of the jaw muscles
• Clicking or popping noise when opening and closing the mouth
• Difficulty opening the mouth
• Certain types of headaches or neck aches
• Jaws that lock open or go out
• Ringing in the ears, dizziness, blurred vision
A night guard (also called a bite splint) is custom crafted to fit just your teeth to eliminate headaches, relieve stress on your teeth at night so that they don’t break, chip or crack and make your jaw joints feel better the next day.
Ask a question. Request an appointment!