Oral Cancer Screenings
in Wayland, Michigan
An oral cancer screening is an essential part of your visit to our office. During this screening we are feeling for any lumps and irregular looking tissue changes in your head, neck, cheeks and oral cavity. We also examine the soft tissues of your mouth looking for sores or discolored areas. Most of the time there is no pain involved until the cancer has gotten very large and may have spread. Early detection has a better chance for successful treatment.
Q: Why is an oral cancer exam included in my dental exam?
A: Every time you come into our office for a regular dental check up you are examined for oral cancer. Oral cancer is a very fast growing, aggressive cancer. Early detection usually means a better prognosis and successful treatment.
Facts about oral cancer:
- We know that oral cancer kills more people than skin cancer and cervical cancer.
- Approximately 30,000 cases of oral cancer are diagnosed each year.
- Five-year survival rate is less than 18%.
- Early detection increases survival rate to 80%.
- Our team is committed to seeing those numbers drop by the early detection. We will be doing an intra-oral and extra-oral exam each time you come to our office for a hygiene appointment.
Oral Cancer: A Yearly Screening Could Save Your Life!
Here are some sobering facts. Approximately 37,000 people will be diagnosed with oral cancer this year in the U.S. That is over 100 individuals each and every day. An additional 12,000 will develop cancer of the throat. Worldwide, nearly 640,000…
Ask a question. Request an appointment!