in Wayland, Michigan
Your child relies on healthful nutrition and a balanced diet for teeth to develop properly and gum tissue to stay healthy. Keep your child’s diet healthy and full of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, milk, meat and beans. Diets high in sugar and starches put your child at risk for tooth decay. Foods high in starch include breads, crackers, pasta, pretzels and potato chips. Sugar is found in more foods than just candy, sweets and raw sugar. Fruit juice and many processed foods are also high in sugar.
Navigating the balance among low sugar, high nutrition and kid friendly foods can be tough! Dr. Sexton offers the following tips to get you started. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us. Our team is happy to help you.
- Shop smart and check food labels.
- Avoid foods high in sugar content and highly acidic including table sugar, foods with added sugar, sweets, candy, chocolate, pastries, and soda.
- Limit the number of snack times and choose healthy snacks.
- Save foods with sugar or starch for meal times. Eat foods high in sugar only on special occasions.
- Do not put your child to bed with a bottle of milk, formula or juice.
- Choose sugar free gum for all children.
Several years ago there was a commercial on TV depicting a child and his Dad. The cute little boy followed his father around and copied everything the man did…
People who drink 3 or more sugary drinks (soda, juice, energy drinks, sports drinks) a day experience 62% more tooth decay.
Caring for your youngest, brightest smiles in Wayland, Michigan
Download our Kid’s Questionnaire and bring it to your child’s next appointment.
Do your best coloring, bring to our office and we’ll decorate our office with your art!
Ask a question. Request an appointment!